Show Mobile Navigation

Sunday, 3 January 2016

Little Girl Dies After Swallowing A Battery

kandy wandy - 16:29:00

2-year-old girl, Brianna Florer, was confirmed dead some days after she swallowed a battery.
Brianna was happy, laughing and jumping around with her older brother and two sisters opening
presents at her grandparents' home On Christmas day.
“On Saturday she was fine,it was a perfect Christmas." her maternal grandfather, Kent Vice said.
"Brianna had not been feeling well for a couple of days, throwing up and running a low-grade fever. Late Sunday, Brianna threw up blood, and her body turned a blue color."
Her parents, Brian and Stephanie Florer, who live in rural Delaware County, called the Jay ambulance, which met them at a convenience store to check Brianna's condition. She threw up again and It was a massive amount of blood, they rushed her to the Grove hospital.
The Grove physicians quickly diagnosed Brianna's problem, and she was taken by ambulance to St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa, where she was rushed into surgery.
An X-ray of her tiny body showed the "killer" was a shiny, silver button battery. Her grandfather, Vice, further narrated: "Bad weather had grounded all medical transportation by helicopter. They operated on her for 2½ hours, but they couldn't stop the bleeding. They believed the battery ate through to her carotid artery by way of her esophagus. One minute she is perfect, and the next minute she is dead. We had no idea when she swallowed it (the battery).”
The family learned Brianna probably swallowed the battery within six days of her death.
Vice said he wants to do something about button batteries. “I want to keep these things out of houses,” he said. “They are dangerous.”
A Go Fund Me account has been set up to help the family with funeral expenses. Eddie Johnson with the state medical examiner's office said the child's autopsy is pending, and it would be two to four months before an official cause and manner of death is known.
There were 53 reported cases in Oklahoma of children and adults swallowing a button or disk battery yearly, said Randy Badillo, Oklahoma Poison Control Center senior specialist. “No fatalities have been reported to us, normally the battery passes through the digestive system, he said.
“But, if the battery lodges in the esophagus or digestive tract, it can open and release an alkaline substance that can cause corrosive or burning injuries. "
From 2005 to 2014, there were 11,940 battery-swallowing incidents involving children under the age of 6 nationally, according to the National Capitol Poison Center in Washington, D.C. Of those cases, 15 children died, and another 101 suffered major medical problems.
“These devastating outcomes occur in small children when batteries get stuck in the esophagus, when a lithium button battery lodges in a child's esophagus, it causes an electrical current to go through the tissue." said Dr. Toby Litovitz, center physician.
“The electrical current is causing more damage because it is splitting the water surrounding the button battery and forming hydroxide, which is an ingredient in lye. Imagine dropping little tiny drops of lye in one place in the esophagus. The lye substance perforates the esophagus and goes into whatever tissue is nearby — it can be the aorta or the trachea. Serious complications also have been seen when small batteries are placed in the nose or ear — another situation where urgent removal is critical. The important thing to remember is, these batteries are everywhere.” Dr. Litovitz warned.
Credit: Pulse
Vice was close to his granddaughter. He handled caretaking duties for Brianna when she was an infant for three weeks after her parents returned to work.
“She never — not one time — had a bad day,” Vice said, his voice cracking with emotion. She was always happy and laughing. I took care of her — she was just an angel.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment